Ledknapper NR Field Trip
The Australian Herpetological society will be running a herping trip to Ledknapper Nature Reserve, 94 km from Bourke NSW, in November 2020. If you love open sky’s, red sand and plenty of wildlife this if for you.
This trip is open to members only and will be run under our scientific licence guidelines.
• Friday 6th November to Sunday 15th November 2020
• Accommodation in and around the field centre is booked for this period, members may arrive/depart anytime within these dates.
Please contact Kelly Nowak – AHS field trip co-ordinator – to book your spot on the trip.
• Ledknapper field studies centre (Belah quarters) – o 4 x rooms with 2 x single beds – these open onto the verandah outside. o 2 x shower & 2 x toilets o 1 x kitchen with two medium sized fridges & all cooking equipment o 1 x large gas BBQ
• There is unlimited area to camp outside the building. This is mostly dirt rather than grass. Also a small verandah for swags etc.
• If it rains the ground will become very muddy so bring appropriate ground sheets etc.
• Please bring your own linen, towels, swag/mattress, doonas, pillows, blankets & food.
• The property has a living room, kitchen, 2 x bathrooms, air conditioning and covered barbecue area with gas barbecue, fire pit and picnic table.
• The kitchen has a stove, fridge, microwave, toaster, kettle, cutlery and pots/pans.
• Drinking water is not available at this property so you’ll need to bring your own supply.
• There is no television at the property.
• Guests are required to take all rubbish with them on check out.
• Daily herping trips into Ledknapper NR & Gundabooka NP, these will be decided on the day with the group – an AHS licence holder must be present.
• Night time trips, same as above – bring herping torches & headlamps.
• Lots of photography
• Approx 10 hours drive to Bourke. We suggest staying at the Nyngan Tourist Park, on the Bogan river, as a halfway stop & some birdwatching. Cabins start at $110 per night for 2 people or $140 for 8 people. http://www.nynganriverside.
• Drive north from Bourke on the Mitchell Hwy for approximately 36km and turn right onto Twin Rivers rd,
• Continue along Twin Rivers Road for approximately 29 km
• Turn left onto Wilganea rd, travel approx. 13.8km.
• Turn left in approx. 13.8 km (unnamed road), veer right at the T- junction (approx. 3.4 km).
• Turn left in approx. 3.2 km onto Powerline fire trail. Destination on the right. Road quality Check the weather and road conditions before you set out as roads may be closed.
• Unsealed – from the start of Twin Rivers road. (approx. 50 km).
• Not sure of road condition, suggest 4wd or high clearance vehicles only. If wet 4WD only.